2016A NASA Keck Time Solicitation
For Professional Research Using the NASA Allocation for Telescope Observing Time at the W.M. Keck Observatory
Proposals for NASA Keck time for observing semester 2016A (February 1, 2016 - July 31, 2016) are due Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 4 pm PDT. This call is now open.
- NASA intends the use of the Keck telescopes to be highly strategic in support of on-going missions and/or high priority, long-term science goals. The NASA Keck call is open to a wide range of disciplines spanning from exoplanets and solar system topics to galactic and extragalactic topics. Click here for more details.
- Frequently Asked Questions Page
- Click here for information on page limits, proposal content, electronic submission, etc.
- The opportunity to propose as Principal Investigators for the NASA time on the Keck Telescopes is open to all U.S.-based astronomers ("U.S.-based astronomers" have their principal affiliation at a U.S. institution).
- Online proposal submission site
- Questions? email: KeckCFP@ipac.caltech.edu
Highlights for 2016A:
- NASA is soliciting large Key Strategic Mission Support proposals in 2016A.
- Note the updated 2014 NASA Science Plan to be used for the strategic relevance section of your proposal.
- Check the WMKO instrument page for telescope observing limits and the current list of available instruments.
- a) In order to support installation and testing of the new Keck II laser, the Keck II LGS AO system will be unavailable for science through mid-April, 2016A. The Keck II NGS AO system will be available for science throughout semester 2016A. The Keck II LGS AO system will be available for shared-risk science from mid-April 2016 onward.
- b) OSIRIS will be unavailable for science through early March 2016 for detector upgrades.
- c) NIRSPEC (NIRSPAO) will be unavailable for four weeks in March 2016 in order to conduct a routine servicing mission to remove ice from the dewar window.
- Letters for both large Key Strategic Mission Support and general mission support proposals must be requested from NASA HQ by September 3, two weeks before submission deadline.
- Key Strategic Mission Support intent emails to NExScI
- Key Strategic Mission Support letter inquiries to NASA HQ
- General Mission Support letter inquiries to NASA HQ
- All proposals and supporting letters due to NExScI
Useful Links and Information
The "new icon" () indicates updates have been made since last semester.
The NASA Keck Time Solicitation Information web site is a source of information for professional researchers who wish to submit proposals for the NASA allocation of observing time at the W. M. Keck Observatory. For general public information, please visit the Keck Home Page.
Web Curator and NExScI Cognizant Official: Dawn