2014 Sagan Exoplanet Summer Workshop
Imaging Planets and Disks
July 21-25, 2014
Beckman Institute Auditorium
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
Hosted by the NASA Exoplanet Science Institute
Monday Hands-on Session Files
Tuesday Hands-on Session Files
Thursday Hands-on Session Files
General Information for Hands-on Sessions
Below is a list of things that you will need to bring/install before you arrive at the workshop. If you have any problems, please let us know and we can work with you to help make sure everything is set up before you arrive.
For everyone, please bring:
- Your laptop/something to take notes with
- Your power adapter
- If you're coming from another country, don't forget your international power adapter!
- Your laptop should have wireless internet if you wish to check email in the main auditorium. There will be no ethernet capability in there.
- We also suggest you download Firefox as your browser for the week - Safari sometimes glitches on the wireless network.
- A sweater, especially for Sunday - it's a desert climate here, so it still gets a little chilly at night
For all hands-on session participants:
If you are taking part in the hands-on sessions, you will need the following in addition to the above:
- You will need a wired ethernet connection with DHCP. If you have a MacBook Air, you will need to bring your ethernet-USB adapter as there is not a built-in ethernet port. We have the ethernet cables, so you won't need to bring one of those. If your laptop does not have any kind of ethernet capability, we will have a *very* limited number of wireless connections. Please email us if you have no ethernet capability so we know how many people we'll need to accommodate.
- You will need to install VNC Viewer from RealVNC on your laptop: https://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/ Please download and install before you get to the workshop on Monday. There will be no time for doing this during the hands-on sessions. If you have any trouble with the installation, you must come and find us on Monday morning to ask for help.
- While not actually needed, you may find that a 3-button mouse is really helpful, as it's the only way to copy-paste inside the VNC viewer. An Apple single-button mouse won't work - the keyboard emulation doesn't work in VNC.
- Definitely a sweater - the AC in one of the breakout rooms could make a polar bear reach for a duvet.
Click here to return to the 2014 workshop page.
(last updated August 25, 2014)